Bluefield Daily Telegraph
John F. Kennedy once held a dinner at the White House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. President Kennedy made this statement: “This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.”
Kennedy’s words were true. Read what Jefferson said and decide for yourself.
• “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who would not.”
• “It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.”
• “I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
• “My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.” (My favorite.)
• “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
These words were spoken more than 200 ago but never more true than today.
Roger F. Topping