NEWRY, Maine (AP) — A Finnish couple has added to their victories by taking first place in the North American Wife Carrying Championship at Maine's Sunday River ski resort.
Taisto Miettinen and Kristina Haapanen traveled from Helsinki, Finland — where they won the World Wife Carrying Championship — for Saturday's contest. The Sun Journal (bit.ly/Q30QWq) reports that the couple finished with a time of 52.58 seconds on a course that includes hurdles, sand traps and a water hole.
The winners receive the woman's weight in beer and five times her weight in cash.
For Miettinen and Haapanen, that meant a check for $530. They shared their beer winnings with the second- and third- place finishers — Jesse Wall and Christine Arsenault of South Paris and David and Lacey Castro of Lewiston.
- Latest Updates
- Va. Tech board announces prez search committee
- 3 tied to coal ship detained in Virginia indicted
- So much for summer — freeze, frost expected in much of W.Va.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- Jury foreman says Arias testimony didn’t help her
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Industry study: Coal exports support W.Va. jobs
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- More Latest Updates Headlines