Bluefield Daily Telegraph
A selection of reader comments from our Facebook page last week:
On a poll question asking if the Bush tax cuts should be extended for families making $250,000 or more?
• Yes, because the $250,000 is gross income. There’s a heck of a difference in gross and net income. Not extending this tax could kill small business. Expect doctors to cut back work days. People tend to work less when taxed more — Becky C.
• Absolutely, yes. Families making $250,000 are not “wealthy.” Most of them are small businesses that provide jobs. And, the absolute truth is that if the so-called wealthy that have been demonized by the liberals, it would not even make a slight dent in the huge debt that America has incurred by rampant spending. It is simple Economics 101. Taxing will put less money, not more into the economy, as there will be less money in the system, as people are taxed to provide the government more money to spend. And, just look at how our wonderful government has already wasted our hard earned taxpayer money — Jerri H.
• Yes ! — Johnnie S.
• The person who owns the company hires workers not the employees! So who do you think it will hurt when they have less of their money to hire workers or even keep the employees at full-time?
• I do not have a problem with tax cuts for them, as long as they made their money the honest hardworking way I say let them keep it — Angela G.
• No way! But the republicans won’t vote for it if its not. And they blame Obama. So ridiculous. And the funny thing is a big percentage of the millionaires the Republicans are protecting actually voted for Obama. California celebrities and such. Partisan bullcrap is what is ruining this country — Dana S.
• No, absolutely not! — Beverely R.
• I don’t think middle class is $250,000 and below. If it is I want to make that kind of money. Middle class is more like $50,000 and under and I’m not no where near that. I sure don’t need any more taken out of my payday. I will need food stamps and gas to get to work if that is what it takes. Getting kind of tired of free loaders getting food stamps, cell phones and free medical and I bust my tail off working and still have nothing to show for it after 35 years of working. Yes I do fairly good but would like to do a little better — Elisa N.
• I don’t know. In Obama’s America, are there any families left that makes that kind of money? — Luke N.
• No! — Greg B.
• Idiots, who pays the bills? We are done as a country when the takers have the power! You all do know the doers are gonna quit doing right! — Drew F.
• The main stream media has done an outstanding job at dumbing down the masses and promoting class warfare. Say a lie long enough, it becomes the truth eventually — Jerri H.
• Why don’t we vote next to give more handouts, let’s say another $100 in the government check, or better yet another $100 on the EBT — Drew F.
On a Dear Abby column asking if it is OK to put your dog or cat in the front seat of a vehicle with you.
• I know I was pulled over about 20 years ago because my cat got out of the box and was trying to kill me for putting him in a car. I pulled to the side of the road on Route 20 and a police officer pulled behind me to check why I was swerving. He pulled my cat off my neck for me. We then discovered that the cat had not only ripped through the secured cardboard box, but then broke through the trunk by eviscerating a speaker and shoving it into the back seat, then he defecated and urinated in the floor before jumping on my head to prevent me from having him neutered. The cop was impressed. — Joe. H.
• We travel with our Pug and keep him in his cage in the back of our Blazer with the seats down. He is fine and sleeps most of the time traveling — Barbara B.
On a story about Judy’s Garland’s “Wizard of Oz” dress fetching $480,000 in an auction.
• Old art sells at auctions for record price. You could have purchased a new one cheaper — Mark D.
On a story about an earthquake being felt in McDowell and Buchanan counties.
• I’ve always said that if one good earthquake hit that area that the whole place would drop several feet due to all the underground mining that has gone on there over the years — Joesph L.
• Mark chapter 13 verse 8 — Dale R.